Our company offers dollar spot treatments to properties in Bethlehem, Allentown, and surrounding Pennsylvania areas.
This fungal disease needs high humidity and dry soil in order to form and attack the grass in your lawn.
If you do not want your lawn to look like a patchwork quilt, then you need to learn about dollar spot fungus and how it can affect your grass. The fungal disease will form in higher humidity conditions when the soil is dry. Dollar spot quickly attacks your lawn, so it is important to work to treat it.
Our company offers dollar spot treatments and prevention in Bethlehem, Allentown, Emmaus, and the nearby areas of Pennsylvania.
When does dollar spot show up in lawns?
Dollar spot first arrives in the form of tiny, tan spots that are the size of a silver dollar, hence the name of the disease. If dollar spot does show up on your lawn, it is due to the following conditions:
- The temperature is consistently between 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
- There is high humidity in the air.
- Your soil is dry and has not gotten any moisture for quite some time.
In other words, if your soil is dry and the roots have not gotten adequate water, but the grass blades themselves are wet, dollar spot can quickly form. This fungus also spreads via wind, water, shoes, and equipment so it can be easily tracked throughout your entire lawn.
Dollar spot affects virtually all types of grasses such as fescue, bluegrass, ryegrass, and more.
It is best to be proactive when it comes to dollar spot prevention.
When dollar spot arrives, it is not very easy to get rid of, which is why most lawn care experts will recommend a preventative course of treatment instead. Being proactive about dollar spot is the best way to keep it out of your grass. Fungicide treatments can work if needed, but they are usually not the ideal way to treat for lawn diseases. In order to effectively treat for and control dollar spot when the climate is right for its development, it is best practice to:
- Water your lawn deeply. Keep your lawn and soil hydrated to avoid having dry soil and wet grass blades.
- Ensure your lawn has been aerated. We offer both liquid and core aeration services that can help remove thatch buildup on your lawn that may be blocking the soil from absorbing water.
- Keep your lawn fertilized regularly. When your grass gets a consistent supply of nutrients, the roots and blades will be stronger and can more easily fend off the threat of dollar spot lawn disease.
- Mow your lawn properly. If your grass is cut too short, it can weaken the structure of the lawn. You should never cut more than a third of the height of the blade at a time.
Are you seeing dollar spots on your lawn? Contact us today.
Throughout the areas of Allentown, Bethlehem, Emmaus, and the surrounding Pennsylvania communities, our company provides dollar spot disease control for all types of properties. If you think you have dollar spot on your lawn, contact us today at (484) 452-3595 for a consultation.