In our last blog post, we spoke about 5 mistakes that are commonly made when it comes to Macungie lawn maintenance. Oftentimes these mistakes are made simply due to lack of knowledge or lack of time. If you don’t have the proper time needed to maintain your Macungie lawn, give us a call! We’ve got 5 more lawn care mistakes today that we see made quite often.
1. Timing of cultural practices. Performing lawn care tasks is one thing, performing them at the right time is another. Timing is very crucial when it comes to weed control, fertilizing, and aerating. The success of many of the practices depend greatly on the weather and the seasons.
2. Is your grass wrong for the location you’re in? Different species of grass require different temperatures, soil types, and amounts of light. You might even need different species within the same yard depending on the amount of shade present at any given time. Plus there are a ton of cool season and warm season grass species to choose from depending on where you’re located.
3. Are you ignoring thatch? Excessive thatch prevents water and other nutrients from penetrating the soil and reaching the grass’ roots. This can cause shallow rooting and creates an unhealthy growing condition that can bring on weed and disease issues. Try aerating and or dethatching at least once a year.
4. Unreasonable expectations. The elusive “perfect lawn” has made many people rich and many more crazy. Obsessing over your lawn is the exact opposite of what you should be doing.
5. Excessive resource use. Unless maintaining a lawn is really your passion (or career), you shouldn’t spend too many resources on a lawn. This includes time, money, labor, water, or pesticides.